Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Run?

Why is it that every time I go to read a new blog it is about how someone else is running marathons, races, and signing up for every run they can get there skinny little hands on. I have been having major anxiety about this lately. Why? I know that I need to do something about my weight. I think about it everyday, 10 times a day.I am not happy at this size. Nothing fits, and even worst, I have lost my desire to shop for clothes. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I think I need to LEARN how to love to run. I have ALWAYS hated to run. I have always been told that I don't have the runner's body type, I'm too tall, your feet are jacked, your not thin enough. I myself have made every excuse not to run.  People... I want to run!!!! Where do I start? I want to feel fit, and full of energy. I want to feel good about myself again. Where do I start?

7 comments:

Tawnya said...

Not kidding, I'm in the same exact position. Kristin and Tara want me to do a Ragnar but I just can't commit. Ugh.

The Brinkerhoff's said...

Come to running club with me!!! I have a love/hate relationship with running but running club is fun and everyone just goes at their own pace so no pressure

Anonymous said...

Alyson will tell you to start with the "From Couch to 5K" program. She did it a couple of years ago and she ran the 5K without walking.

I can't run because my legs are too short and I can justify it by saying that I have to take two steps for everybody else's one step. So really I'd be running two marathons... :)

Love you!
Amy

Ashlee Martin Smith said...

When you figure it out (and I'm dead serious about this) let me know!!!! I want to run too.

Lissa said...

I'm really good at:

running my mouth.
running errands.
running to dairy queen.
running up a bill.
running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I guess it just comes natural to some of us. Sorry

Anonymous said...

I was in the same situation 1.5 years ago!! Here are a couple of things I learned along the way:

-start slow, work your way up. Begin walking a few times around the block and when that becomes boring, add to it.

-Have a buddy - I started out with my girlfriend from church and we went pretty strong several times a week for a few months and then because of scheduling conflicts, I continued on my own.

- Take a week off on occasion. The break will do some good.

- Change your perception of it. Don't look at it as a chore or something that you will never love. Instead, look forward to the time ALONE. No kids, no hubby. The walk/jog/run will be something you look forward to.

- write things down! I had no concept of what a calorie was until I started keeping track of what I put in my mouth. it became a game to me to stay under the "calorie allotment for the day"

Good luck!! 50% percent of the work out is actually taking the first step.

bepluvstrack said...

Learn all the words to a really long hymn and sing it in your head, if that gets boring, zone out. If you can't zone out, you're trying to hard or going too fast. Running is major zone-out time for me when I get to do it.

If you can't maintain the speed you're running, slow down to a speed you can maintain.